Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Food Stages

I am such a slacker these days with posting. So I wanted to post all the food stages and what I was eating and how much so here we go....





Clear Liquids for 7 days (I was on no food for 3 days post op because of my complications. I started clears on my 4th day in the hospital so this stage was a little longer for me, it was actually 10 days until I started full liquids)


I ate chicken, beef and vegetable broth - sugar free popsicles - water - no sugar added apple juice - crushed ice


I tried sugar free jello and crystal light in my water but could not stomach it. It was overwhelmingly sweet and made me nauseous.


It is so hard to get in all the fluids so don't sweat it when you can't. Just try to stay hydrated and get well. My meds counted as my liquids in according to my nurses so I counted them. I didn't really drink in between meals other than I constantly ate crushed ice and drank the water as the ice melted. Here is an example of the 1st few days of clears:





Day 1


Breakfast: 2 oz apple juice - 1 1/2 oz broth - 1 oz water


Meds: 1 oz every 4 hours (5 total for the day)


Lunch: 1 oz water- 1 oz apple juice - 2 oz broth


Liquids other than meals: 6 1/2 oz water - 1.5 oz sf popsicle


Dinner: 1/2 oz broth- 3 oz oj (wasn't supp to have that but it was on my tray and it was good!)


Total for the day : 25 oz.





Day 2


Breakfast: 2 1/2 oz broth - 2 oz water


meds: 1 oz every 4 hours (5 total for the day)


Lunch: 2 oz broth ; 1 bite sugar free jello


Liquids other than meals: 2 oz - (2) 1.5 sf popsicle


Dinner: 3 oz broth


Total for the day: 19.5 oz





Day 3


Breakfast: 1/2 oz water - 1 oz broth


Meds: 1 oz every 4 hours (5 total for the day)


Lunch: 1 oz water - 2 oz broth


Liquids other than meals: 1.5 oz sf popsicle - 4 oz


Dinner: ZERO


Total for the day: 11 (I was sick and nauseated this day)





Full liquids for 7 days


I ate cream of chicken soup - strained cream of mushroom soup - tomato soup - instant mashed potatoes (sometimes with melted cheese and sour cream) - sugar free pudding - protein shakes/drinks and ofcourse anything I ate on clears. I didn't get too creative in this stage. I did try some strained broccoli and cheese soup, it was ok. Cream of chicken was my favorite and off brands were not as good as Campbell's. I found during this stage I started getting my appetite back and noticed I was hungry like every 2 hours. I was still home recooping, so I ate, napped, ate and napped. I was getting in an average of 30-40 grams of protein and around 32 oz of waterby sipping in between meals. I didn't keep up with my calories, fat or carbs. My order of concern was protein, water and feeling better.

Example Day 1
8:30am - 3 oz cream of chicken soup; 1 oz pain med
10:30am - chewable vitamins
11:00am - 2 oz cream of chicken soup
2:00pm - 4 oz protein shake
3:00pm - 1 oz pain med ; chewable vitamins
4:30pm - 2 oz cream of mushroom soup
7:30pm - 4 oz protein shake; 1 oz pain med
9:15pm - sugar free popsicle

Example Day 2
9:30am - 4 oz decaf coffee with atkins vanilla shake; 1 oz pain med
10:30am - chewable vitamins
12:00pm - 3 oz cream of mushroom soup
2:00pm - 2 bites sugar free jello (this is when I discovered I just didn't have a taste for this anymore, it was too sweet and made me nauseaous for a while)
5:00 pm - 3 oz tomato soup
6:00pm - chewable vitamins
7:30pm - 3 oz cream of chicken soup

Example Day 3
7:30am - 2 oz cream of mushroom soup
9:00am - 3 oz tomato soup
10:00am - chewable vitamins
11:00am - 10oz Isopure Grape Frost clear liquid protein (I worked on this all day, I poured it in ice and sipped in place of my water)
12:30pm - 3 1/2 oz cream of chicken
2:15pm - 1/2 snack cup of chocolate sugar free pudding
4:15pm - 3 oz cream of chicken soup
5:00pm - chewable vitamins
6:15pm - 4 oz protein shake
8:00pm - 1 oz brocolli and cheese soup
8:45pm - 2 oz instant potatoes





Pureed/Mushies for 14 days


It was recommended to blend foods so it would be pureed but I never did that. I just chewed extremely well until it was mush before I swallowed. To each his own but this worked for me. I ate anything that was chunky yet soft, that I thought I could chew well and wouldn't have issues with. I still ate some cream of chicken soup, lots of Wendy's chili, corn beef hash, instant potatoes, I found some great recipes on eggface's blog. She is the WLS queen!! I was managing 40-60 grams of protein a day and about 32-48 oz water. My cousin makes this awesome baked mixed beans. I made it up during this stage with a few modifications. It was good comfort food and had to help up my protein (i never did find out the protein per serving) but here is the recipe:


Pre heat oven to 425
Fry and Drain:
1 1/2 lbs hamburger or ground turkey
1 small onion *
1 green bell pepper *
1 red bell pepper *
Combine with:
1- bag Oscar Myer bacon bits
1 cup brown sugar * (you can use brown sugar splenda)
1 - 2 cups ketchup
1 TBSP. mustard
2 - cans Bush's baked beans original
1 - can Great Northern Beans (I use 2 cans)
1 - can Kidney Beans
2 - cans Butter Beans * (I use 2 cans)
Bake at 425 for 45 min. or simmer on the stove or crockpot. I skip the whole oven thing

Example day 1

Breakfast - 4 oz italian bake http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/08/pureed-foods.html

Snack - 1/2 snack cup sugar free pudding

Lunch - 4 oz chili

Snack - chewable vitamins ; 4 oz protein shake

Dinner - 4 oz italian bake

Snack - sugar free popsicle

Example day 2

Breakfast - 2 oz corn beef hash

Lunch - 4 oz italian bake

Snack - chewable vitamins ; 1 oz corn beef hash

Dinner: 4 oz baked mix beans

Snack - 2 oz cream of chicken soup








Soft foods for 14 days


I stopped measuring and counting altogether in this stage. For the most part I still used my 4 oz bowls to guide myself but I mostly listened to my stomach and ate slow to know when I couldn't tolerate any more food. I didn't have this surgery to diet. I don't want to spend the rest of my life measuring, weighing, counting calories, fat grams and carbs. This is my plan and if I need to adjust it because my weight loss stops then I will. I eat what I want until I am full and then I enter it into dailyplate.com usually just to make sure I am getting in my protein but I only do this during the work week. I ate things like eggs, oatmeal, anything from previous stages, ground hamburger, chicken salad, tuna salad, egg salad. I was averaging 50-65 grams of protein a day and 32-48 oz water in this stage. Water is the toughest for me. My doctor recommended 100% juice to up my water intake and ofcourse count protein supplements.

Example Day 1
Breakfast - 1 scrambled egg with cheese
Snack - string cheese ; few bites chicken salad
Lunch - chicken salad
Snack - protein shake
Dinner - italian bake w/ ground hamburger
Snack - slice of cheddar cheese

Example day 2
Breakfast - 1/2 packet oatmeal (low sugar maple and brown sugar)
Snack - string cheese
Lunch - instant potatoes with sour cream and cheese
Snack - protein shake
Dinner - chicken salad






Regular diet (protein - vegetables - good carbs in that order)


The exception to that rule is I still can't eat popcorn, nuts, raw vegetables, until I am 6 months out. I am to stay away from all bad carbs like pasta, rice, sugar filled junk, chips etc. indefinately or at least until I have reached goal and in maintenance mode. At almost 2 1/2 months out, I have eaten a few cashews here and there, a bite of macaroni and cheese and even a chip or two -Don't judge me lol) I have found these soy crisps that have 9 grams of protein and cure my chip cravings. There is a lot of alternatives out there, you just have to look and plan ahead. When I don't plan is when I make poor choices. I am getting approximately 48-56 oz water a day and depending on what I eat 60-90 grams of protein. I watch dailyplate.com and try to stay within 30-40 fat grams and 20-40 carbs. I will adjust when I stop losing.

Example day 1
breakfast - scrambled egg with cheese ; 2 strips bacon
snack - string cheese
lunch - baked chicken ; bite or two of green beans
snack - finish chicken from lunch
dinner - honey bbq salmon ; few bites cabbage, one bite mashed potatoes
snack - scoop of breyers low carb butter pecan ice cream

Example day 2
breakfast - 2 turkey sausage links ; 1/2 packet oatmeal
snack - 8 oz 100 % orange juice
lunch - small ceasar salad with grilled chicken (If I buy salads at fast food places, I usually take a little bit of it and my daughter eats the rest)
snack - cheese
dinner - baked pork chop ; few bites cauliflower/brocolli mix
snack - protein shake ; spoonful of peanut butter








No comments: